John Danks & Sons
🏭 John Danks & Son Pty Ltd began as a plumbing business in 1859, established by brothers John and Samuel. It occupied a prominent site at 42 and then 391 Bourke Street, Melbourne where it traded from for 100 years. The business quickly grew to include from 1881 factories in Melbourne and Sydney which manufactured and supplied a variety of plumbing and engineering products such as water meters, brassware, pumps, windmills and bells. Early success came from supplying connectors for Melbourne’s Yan Yean Reservoir, one of the city’s first major water projects The official company was registered in 1889. 1902 - 1928: Following John Danks' death in 1902, his son Aaron, later Sir Aaron led the company. Aaron's son Fred, became Chairman and Managing Director upon his father's death in 1928. In 1951, Danks Holdings Limited was incorporated as a public company and John Danks & Son Pty Ltd became its wholly owned subsidiary. At this time, the company was operating retail and wholesale shops in Bourke Street, Melbourne, and Pitt Street, Sydney, as well as its manufacturing plants in Melbourne and Sydney. A 1952 catalogue has no mention of water meters, so it is estimated that the product line was discontinued after WW2. In the mid 1950s, the decision was made to phase out retailing and manufacturing to concentrate on distribution to independent hardware retailers. This decision spurred the construction of a new warehouse in Alexandria, New South Wales, in 1956 and in South Melbourne in 1958 - both situated on the company's previous factory sites. The city premises were then sold.
